05 February 2005

All your base are belong to us.

So... I'm going to Renegades at the end of the month. In time for my birthday! Not that anyone ever remembers it, but I'm not bitter. It's just another day, but this "another day" I'll be 18. So it's very slightly special. And I'll get to see Chels, which will be pretty cool.

Not much comes with becoming 18 this year, except I can actually work somewhere that isn't foodservice here. The only problem with working is that I march corps. And there are around 20 people in the whole city who aren't in the PG band who even know what drum corps is, much less care about it. And only 3 I think that have actually marched anywhere. I'm one of them. The other two marched at least 10 years ago.

I am picking back up on writing letters again. I think I may be able to see the boy on two separate occasions this summer -- there's a show in northwest Arkansas which I might be able to go to that the Cavies will be performing at, and if there's no rehearsal or show or anything for Renegades the weekend of DCI championships I'll get to see him then too. =)

I am very thankful to have a friend like him. And as I've said before, he's the only boy I could have a crush on, I'm sure. I mean... how often are you going to find someone who, despite knowing only from one season of drum corps, you would trust with some things you've told no one, or very few someones? And who will do it for you, too... willing to help in any way they can.

Heh... and I now have "officially come out" on DCP -- I'm not that interested in boys. Some of them are nice/good/etc though. I suppose I'm just very choosy.

Today was a glasses day. I didn't feel like wearing my contacts, mostly because I was waked up at abut 4:45. Sure, the whole Venturing thing is cool, but... jeez... We were finished with the tour of the movie studio at Las Colinas + the Boy Scout museum by around 12:40. Then we went and bought stuff. I have two more Under Armour shirts now.

We're booking my flight this week, I think. Tomorrow or Monday, I think. Probably no later than that because if it's much later than that we'll end up paying an arm + a leg + my soul + $400 for the ticket. ... Or maybe just $600 or so.

In ten days I can pick up my cheque from the college. It's so nice to be able to get money back from them because I have a scholarship and a pell grant that covered all costs + a good bit of money extra this semester. My scholarship will only get me through 2 more semesters though, and the leftover has to be combined with the grant to pay my tuition. That's a perk of community college -- the 13 hours I'm taking was about $675, + ~$345 for books/other supplies. Yay. My books last semester were nearly $500, and that was books alone because all of them except my literature books were brand-new this year or they had already run out of used ones. That's what I get for buying books after classes start, I guess. Oh well. I'm not there anymore, which is a good thing for more than one reason.

I still feel a little stung about the comment I got from one of the co-caption heads at Blue Stars concerning whether or not I'd actually be returning there. That e-mail came around 4 or so days ago, and I understand that it's not cool to string people along, but I seriously feel that that comment was un-called for. You'd think that after last summer they might realise that I'm not going to lead them on, but apparently they don't. Whatever. It's not like I'm going back there. No offence to those who are there, but the corps just isn't for me anymore. I'm not sure if it really was in the first place. I, sometimes, felt unchallenged. I feel that if I went back there this year I would feel completely unchallenged.

Going to Renegades may not be so challenging either, but I have to deal with the stress of flying every weekend to and from California. That in itself adds on to anything. Flying is just so tiring, and it really has nothing to do with jet-lag. After a while, it's not "new" and/or "fun/cool" anymore. It gets old. The only good thing is the air-miles. I may be able to fly for DCA championships for free... That's good.

I've got to get on that sponsorship thing, but I want to wait until I for sure have a spot in Renegades mello line. That way I can actually be positive that yes, I'm marching this summer and I need your help. =) Mostly I need people who are willing to help me out with airfare, not dues/fees.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chelsea Strong said...

Word. But I'd fly anyday instead of driving...especially if it was to Crossmen... :-
Anyway, I'm so glad to have you here, we'll have fun :) I've been working on my mom to get a trundle for my room anyway, now I have an excuse.

We'll be okay....hey, maybe we can even do gushy boy talk ♥

00:28  
Blogger The Mastermind said...

Heck yeah, dude. Every camp, if you don't have camp.

And we can do gushy boy talk. :)

13:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home